St. Scholastica Monastery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places due to its influence in the areas of Education, Architecture, and Religion.
The original structure, designed by F.W. Redlich of Oklahoma City in 1923, is a 5-story buff-colored brick building, ornamented with Carthage and Bedford stone with a green clay tile roof. The design for this original wing was accomplished in a Gothic/Tudor Revival architectural style, with extensive treatments of all windows, including dormer windows with decorative cut stone accents. The basement exterior was finished in cut stone having a decorative cap band where brick veneer rises for 3 more stories, and with a cut-stone parapet to receive the clay tile roof.
The purchase in 1925 of an additional 28 acres adjacent to the old “Barnes Place” tract increased the site to a total 67 acres. In 1928, a second wing was added, including a chapel with a seating capacity of 300, and a gymnasium/auditorium. On the west end of this addition is a six-story tower that has two decorated style buttressed towers that rise nearly 7 stories, flanking an elaborate cut-stone Gothic-arched entry to the monastery. (Architectural details courtesy of National Register of Historic Places.)
St. Scholastica Monastery welcomes visitors to tour the building and grounds, which offer guests many tranquil places for meditation and relaxation. Please call (479) 783-4147 at least a day in advance for an interior monastery tour.